The role: Engineering Manager
We’re on an exciting journey; as part of the Flutter group we form a key piece of the world’s largest Betting and Gaming company with brands such as PokerStars, Paddy Power, BetFair and SkyBet. We’re expanding our team as we use our technical and sports betting expertise to deliver a best of breed International Sportsbook.
What you will do….
You’ll lead a group of engineers of all levels to deliver a Sportsbook containing a rich betting platform API, fronted by a web, native and desktop client. Your teams will be contributing to a large ecosystem of betting services delivering exciting product features. You’ll work closely with your direct reports to perform coaching and other general line management activities. This includes collaborating on development plans, having regular 1:1s and undertaking continuous feedback performance management.
You’ll work closely with our technical leaders to help define and achieve our technical vision through our engineering practices and values. To help scale our organisation, you’ll report into and work closely with a Senior Engineering Manager to recruit and develop the best engineers for your squads.
Engineering Managers are responsible for both people management for their team, and the way we deliver against our business goals from an in-house software engineering perspective. You should be a confident technical leader with experience in an evolving and dynamic web-scale environment under an agile DevOps ethos where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice.
Salary and benefits packages reflect the high standard across our team. We offer excellent training and development opportunities for all engineers, including dedicated L&D time every week.
You will be self-motivated and willing to contribute at all levels, listening and learning from those around you. Culture is the foundation of our success and we want you to be a part of it and drive it.
How you will do it
- Engineering People Management
- Run a strong group of highly motivated engineers at all levels, manage skills gaps and ensure we have balanced teams fit to deliver against business objectives
- Develop & motivate those in your team by providing clear direction, opportunities for learning & direct coaching. Pro-actively manage any individual performance.
- Define and maintain team structure aligned to a culture of “small autonomous agile teams” to match the current focus of our Tribe.
- Foster a Sustainable & Scalable Engineering culture
- Evangelise & prioritise engineering best practice in your squads so we have a clear direction for continuous improvement.
- Take responsibility for managing technical debt, evolving coding practices and aging code risks. Input into framework & language choice, development build and deployment tooling.
- Be responsible for adherence to the Tribe’s technology principles and SDLC in the context of our wider compliance requirements. Make sure we do this in a way that maintains our low-bureaucracy high-trust working environment.
- Champion Quality and Continuous Improvement
- Work with Leads, Test Managers and other stakeholders to ensure we deliver high quality engineering solutions with the right balance between delivery speed vs operational risk
- With the Ops Manager, design and implement relevant support processes for the team’s services.
- Ensure we provide technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and oversee that any remedial work is carried out.
- Constantly seek to make our engineering better: the skills and expertise of the team, improving delivery predictability and speed, operational awareness and responsibility.
- Highlight engineering risks and improvement benefits widely around the business to gain traction on making those improvements happen.
- Work with the wider tribe leadership to plan and manage deliveries and report against progress toward our vision and objectives.
What we look for
Experience of leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in a web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration
A committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions.
Strategic thinkers with a strong technical background
An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
How we work
We believe in providing the best career for everyone; your progression begins on the day we first meet.
Career progression, staff engagement and satisfaction are paramount to us. We want an environment where everyone can do their best work and be the best that they can be.
- Experience of leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in a web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration
- A committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions.
- An experienced leader with a reputation for thought leadership, strategic thinking and with a strong technical background.
- An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
- Modern software engineering relies on iterative, incremental development and fast feedback – we expect a good understanding of the mechanics of this including a solid understanding of automation and its role in modern software delivery
- Have experience of working in a modern agile environment (e.g. Scrum / Kanban)
- You will be comfortable working independently or collaboratively with good time and prioritisation skills
What’s in it for you?
The salary for this job is based on experience, so whilst we are not able to go into detail at this stage, we can say that we offer great salary packages and a discretionary annual performance bonus. We can also provide advice and dedicated assistance to those moving to Leeds.
We offer health and dental insurance for you, your partner and your children (if you all live at the same address). If you have a baby whilst you work for us, we will give you 1000 GBP as congratulations.
In addition to that, we provide the opportunity for a discounted gym membership.
Our in-house training and development team deliver fantastic support in terms of developing your skills and helping you progress your career.
What happens next?
We will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. If you meet the criteria, then we’ll invite you to a general Zoom interview and if that goes well we’ll meet you for a technical Zoom interview.
PokerStars is part of Flutter Entertainment Plc, a global sports betting, gaming and entertainment provider headquartered in Dublin and part of FTSE 100 index of the London Stock Exchange, which brings together exceptional brands, products and businesses and a diverse global presence in a safe, responsible and ultimately sustainable way.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on any protected characteristic as defined by applicable law.
We will look to provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process. If you need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org