The role: Head of Technology, Global Trading
We are looking for a Head of Technology, Global Trading to join our Sports Development department in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Are you our next star player?
As Head of Technology for Global Trading you will be responsible for our end to end capability and delivery across the SDLC including live operations. You will be responsible for 9 squads (and growing) consisting of software engineers, test engineers, agile delivery leads, architecture, DevOps, support and service teams. The role reports into the Technology Director for Global Sportsbook and Trading.
Why we need you
We’re expanding our team to use our technical and sports betting knowhow to deliver amazing products to customers of Sky Bet, FoxBet and PokerStars Sports around the world.
You will work closely with our product teams and will deliver and enable our Global Trading capability alongside alignment to strategic direction and the way we deliver against our business goals. You should be a superb technical leader with excellent communication skills and experience in an evolving and dynamic web-scale environment under an agile DevOps ethos where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice.
Key responsibilities for the role will be:
Product Design, Engineering & Delivery:
- OKR governance and alignment across all disciplines to deliver our mission statement.
- Own our SDLC across the product engineering teams, promoting engineering excellence, ways of working and various maturity models.
- Ownership of the technical debt of our products and services, lead on investment proposals & changes for our teams to continuously improve.
- Champion Quality and Continuous Improvement.
- Implement and own our agile/lean engineering practices across the various teams and location, ensuring alignment to divisional deliverables.
- Drive initiatives to increase agility, pace and throughput across the teams and drive cultural change where required.
- Work with our product teams to ensure a balanced prioritisation across multiple areas of demand– including feature, security, performance, quality, automation and control of our technical debt.
- Ensure product and solution designs align to overall strategic direction, deliver business value and consider the end to end service provision.
- Establish robust governance, management and controlled delivery of our portfolio including measurement of KPIs and reporting to key stakeholders.
- Own localised governance of solution designs, tooling, demand management and ways of working.
- Ensure robust management and reporting of departmental budgets.
Service & Operations
- Ensure the effective transition of all new developments to live operation and support – including effective service monitoring and incident response procedures.
- Drive initiatives which are focused on stabilisation and the continued high availability of our platforms and services.
- Establish adequate knowledge of our products and services across all tiers of support minimising single points of failure and key man dependencies.
- Deliver effective practices for the management and monitoring of services and alignment to SLAs and reporting.
- Ensure good management of all non-production environments and stability minimising downtime.
- Manage and own departmental risks with a particular focus on security, compliance, service availability and reliability.
- Build high performing teams within our Sofia centre of excellence, understand our current status quo and create action plans to improve using maturity models and other frameworks.
- Own the structure of the teams to ensure the highest standards are achieved. Move people as needed, creating or disbanding teams in response to new business requirements or engineering priorities.
- Define and maintain the best team structures (aligned to a culture of “small autonomous agile teams”) to match the current focus of our Tribe.
- Take the lead role in the sourcing, selection and developing of talent in the organisation of Global Sports betting and Trading for our International Business.
- Ensure that development plans and performance reviews are completed for all team members – helping to foster skills growth and progression wherever possible.
Leadership, Engagement & Collaboration
- Spearhead the leadership of our Centre of Excellence in Sofia and drive a one team ethos.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the divisional unit Heads of Departments to align solutions, ways of working and strategic approaches within teams as appropriate.
- Maintain a strong relationship with Head of Delivery to ensure demand is carefully managed and project reporting is up to date and informative.
- Maintain a strong relationship with Head of Architecture at a divisional level to establish the correct strategies and share ideas/solutions around projects and engineering methods.
- Work with the Head of Technical Operations to ensure the effective transition of all new developments to live operation and support – including effective service monitoring and incident response procedures.
- Development & motivation of our staff (~100 resources) acting as a role model and leading from the front.
- Run a strong team of top-notch highly motivated architects, agile delivery leads, software engineers, test engineers and DevOps at all levels, manage skills gaps and reduce single points of failure in our teams.
- Take the lead on championing our culture & innovation mindset via improvements in our ways of working across locations to create a One Team approach.
- Be an ambassador for Diversity, promote and implement the company’s Diversity Policy always. Corporate social responsibility – uphold, safeguard and promote the reputation and values of the organisation throughout all internal and external business relationships and activities.
- Foster a sustainable & scalable technology led product oriented and customer obsessed culture.
Who we’re looking for
You will be an established technology leader with over 5 years in a similar role. You will have strong experience in delivering solutions and products in either a B2B or B2C environment leading teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in online betting & gaming or similar web/mobile-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration.
We’ll expect you to have commercial experience in managing delivery and an integrated release process in an online environment and experience in Continuous Deployment.
You’ll also need a proven ability to take and influence technical decisions in a fast-moving commercial environment. You’ll be a committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions. You are also an analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
- Over 5 years of running a technology department/organisation and leading agile teams (100+ personnel) in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in a web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration
- A committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions.
- An excellent cool headed leader with strong experience in complex delivery of software products and services.
- An experienced individual with a reputation for thought leadership, strategic thinking and a strong technical background.
- An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done.
- Solid software development or architectural background with good understanding of modern technology challenges and available solutions.
- A good understanding of working within a regulated and compliant environment.
What’s in it for you?
Our experience-based salaries are competitive. Plus, there’s a discretionary annual performance bonus. And we provide advice and dedicated assistance to those moving to Bulgaria.
Your package will include:
- Health and dental insurance for you, your partner and your children (if you all live at the same address)
- A personal interest allowance to let you learn something new or pursue a hobby
- Social benefit package contributing to your lunch and transportation expenses.
- 1,000 BGN as congratulations if you have a baby whilst you work for us
- MultySport membership
- In-house training and development of your skills, progressing your career.
What happens next?
If you’re what we’re looking for, next up will be a phone interview. And if that goes well, we’ll meet you for a face-to-face interview.
PokerStars is part of Flutter Entertainment Plc, a global sports betting, gaming and entertainment provider headquartered in Dublin and part of FTSE 100 index of the London Stock Exchange, which brings together exceptional brands, products and businesses and a diverse global presence in a safe, responsible and ultimately sustainable way.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on any protected characteristic as defined by applicable law.
We will look to provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process. If you need assistance, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note we cannot accept general applications; this inbox is just for providing support to those who need it.