The role: Lead Architect – International Sports Platform Tribe
We’re on an exciting journey; we form a key piece of the world’s largest Betting and Gaming company with brands such as PokerStars, We’re expanding our team as we use our technical and sports betting expertise to deliver a best of breed Sportsbook.
As part of Flutter’s International division – within the Sports vertical – you’ll contribute to the success of the PokerStars and Betfair brands.
Our tech teams work remotely within the UK, occasionally you’ll need to come to the office in Leeds. Not often, but up to 4-5 times a month and of course, we’ll cover all related expenses. Working as a team is what makes us great and spending quality time together is essential for keeping us mission-aligned.
Are you our next star player?
- You’ll work on the most critical, strategic projects at the heart of the world’s largest public online gaming business, with funding and opportunities to match our huge ambition
- It’s your chance to build and run new platforms and systems that will ultimately be used by millions around the world, building on your career and learning new tech skills to solve problems that only exist at this scale
- You’ll be part of the award-winning Flutter group tech family, working with the best product and technology professionals, learning new skills and developing yourself in new ways
What you will do….
As Lead Architect you will report to the Associate Director of Technology in our International Sports Platform (ISP) Tribe. You will be a technical subject matter expert for particular products and services and, via solution designs, be the design authority for new and existing services.
You will lead a team of architects, leading on technical designs and direction. You will peer with Product, Platform, Engineering and Infrastructure teams to deliver sustainable, high-performance products, services and solutions to provide the best possible experience for our customers.
You will communicate the business goals, constraints and risks to the delivery team members, so that they can build and operate the systems and services that support and deliver the tribe’s business goals and address the constraints and risks that are present.
Together with other technology leaders, you will deliver and communicate an architectural vision and roadmap for the tribe that is understood and supported by the whole business and that provides clear, achievable principles and direction for the technology team to follow.
As well as carrying out the role of a Solutions Architect you will also:
- Line manage the ISP architecture team
- Work to continuously improve the architecture teams’ ways of working and processes.
- Driving the creation of Tech Radars / Menus in each of the areas and their guidelines for use
- Drive the creation and maintenance of city plans
- Mentor Solutions Architects on how to be more effective
- Define the process for architectural communication/sign-off and peer review
- Define best practices arounds stakeholder risk management
- Work with Head of Architecture, Solutions Architects and the wider architectural community to define best practices and ways of working.
- Work with Heads/Directors within to define:
- How the architecture processes fit within the delivery and product processes
- How the architecture processes fit within the service/operational processes
- Create architecture skills matrixes for both developing existing SA’s and helping define the architecture career path for existing technology staff
- Evangelize/L&D/Architecture concepts to wider teams
- Help define / Evangelizing Architecture principles and their alignment with the wider architecture community
- Identify / sharing best practices
- Promote more structured capture/communication of Technical Decision Records
- Maturity Models for both architectural processes and systems.
- Assist with recruitment and onboarding of new starters
- Our mission is to create the best place our people have ever worked at, leading the way in terms of technology and innovation; We want you to be a part of this mission, helping from within.
How you will do it…
Reporting to the ISP Associate Director of Technology, you will perform the following:
- Provide technical leadership to the tribe’s technical teams.
- Keep up-to-date with emerging technologies and architectural approaches and promote alignment between technology and business strategy.
- Maintain a good understanding and awareness of competitors’ products and services.
- Form effective business relationships.
- Collaborate with other architects within your and other areas of the business of the business to help define our architectural principles, vision, lifecycle and underlying framework.
- Have an awareness of current architectural trends and developments within the market, particularly patterns and technologies being used within International Sports and the wider Flutter
- Provide governance and technical leadership to ensure the products and services you are involved with are aligned with the design goals.
- Develop the tribe’s technology road map and to gain commitment for architecture initiatives.
- Maintain an in-depth knowledge of the tribe’s technologies and architecture and a good understanding of the wider organization’s technologies and architectures.
- Deliver solution designs and impact assessments to support the delivery of business goals and help squads to bring these products to life.
- Identify architectural risks and propose alternatives and solutions.
- Collaborate with other teams within the group to promote the interoperability of data collected across products and technology teams
While experience with all (or even any) of the items listed in this document is not essential it is clearly beneficial and more senior candidates would typically be able to demonstrate experience in more of the items listed below.
Key Non-Technical Methodologies and Experience
- Agile development culture
- Working with stakeholders
- You will be a passionate and data driven individual with a focus on the customer experience.
- The ability to prioritise high volumes of responsibilities without delays in deliverables.
- Knowledge of software development lifecycles, multiple development styles and methodologies with a strong aptitude in defining both business and technical requirements.
- Excellent communication, relationship management and attention to detail skills You’ll have the ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines with a can-do attitude.
- Betting and Gaming industry
Technology Agnostic Characteristics
- High volume, highly available, transactional web applications
- Modelling, measuring and forecasting capacity
- Event driven and reactive systems
- Message based architectures
- Designing for scalability
- Relational and non-relational datastores
- Service based approaches (e.g. REST, SOA, Microservices)
- Network and web application security
- General understanding of datacentre technologies (SAN, blades, virtualisation etc)
- Automated Testing (especially BDD toolkits), Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Java, React, Typescript
- MySQL / RDBMS
- NoSQL, document DB Dynamo/Mongo
- AWS – SQS/SNS/Dynamo/EC2, serverless
- Chef, Jenkins, Grafana
- Content networking (e.g. F5 BigIP, SteelApp, Varnish, Nginx)
How we work…
We believe in providing the best career for everyone; your progression begins on the day we first meet.
Career progression, staff engagement and satisfaction are paramount to us. We want an environment where architects can do their best work and be the best that they can be.
- Our architects work closely with colleagues in all positions, so communication and interpersonal skills are important for this role
- Our architects are T-Shaped, we expect deep expertise in one or two areas but an essential knowledge across our architecture – our most senior architects are able to jump in where there may be a gap to help keep work flowing
- We rely on iterative, incremental development and fast feedback – we expect a good understanding of the mechanics of this including a solid understanding of automation and its role in modern software delivery
- Our architects have experience of working in a modern agile environment (e.g. Scrum / Kanban)
- You will be comfortable working independently or collaboratively with good time and prioritisation skills
What’s in it for you?
The salary for this job is based on experience, so whilst we are not able to go into detail at this stage, we can say that we offer great salary packages and a discretionary annual performance bonus. We can also provide advice and dedicated assistance to those moving to Leeds.
We offer health and dental insurance for you, your partner and your children (if you all live at the same address). If you have a baby whilst you work for us, we will give you 1000 GBP as congratulations.
In addition to that, we provide the opportunity for a discounted gym membership.
Our in-house training and development team deliver fantastic support in terms of developing your skills and helping you progress your career.
What happens next?
We will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. If you meet the criteria, then we’ll invite you to a phone interview and if that goes well we’ll meet you for a face-to-face interview.
- PokerStars is part of Flutter Entertainment Plc, a global sports betting, gaming and entertainment provider headquartered in Dublin and part of FTSE 100 index of the London Stock Exchange, which brings together exceptional brands, products and businesses and a diverse global presence in a safe, responsible and ultimately sustainable way.
- We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on any protected characteristic as defined by applicable law.
- We will look to provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process. If you need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org