The role: Lead Software Engineer
We’re on an exciting journey; as part of the Flutter group we form a key piece of the world’s largest Betting and Gaming company with brands such as PokerStars, Paddy Power, BetFair and SkyBet. We’re expanding our team as we use our technical and sports betting expertise to deliver a best of breed Sportsbook.
Our tech teams can work remotely within country, occasionally you’ll need to come to the office. Not often, but up to 4-5 times a month and of course, we’ll cover all related expenses. Working as a team is what makes us great and spending quality time together is essential for keeping us mission-aligned.
What you will do
You’ll lead a squad at the heart of our rich betting platform API, contributing to a large ecosystem of betting services. You’ll be exposed to many industry standard technologies to build, configure and deploy our services including Java, Chef, AWS, Jenkins, Kafka and more. You’ll work closely with your squad to perform day-to-day coaching of your direct reports and other general line management activities. This includes collaborating on development plans, having regular 1:1s and undertaking continuous feedback performance management.
You’ll work closely with our technical leaders to help define and achieve our technical vision through our engineering practices and values. To help scale our organisation, you’ll report into and work closely with an Engineering Manager to recruit and develop the best engineers for your squad.
Salary and benefits packages reflect the high standard across our team. We offer excellent training and development opportunities for all engineers, including dedicated L&D time every week.
You will be self-motivated and willing to contribute at all levels, listening and learning from those around you. Culture is the foundation of our success and we want you to be a part of it and drive it.
Lead Engineers are the heart of our teams.
How you will do it
- Owns the technical vision for their team with support from Principal and Senior Principal engineers
- Have prior experience operationally running services in the cloud such as Java applications, streams of data (Kafka), Message Queues (RabbitMQ/Active MQ) NoSQL (Cassandra) or SQL databases (MySQL)
- Have the DevOps mindset of you build it, you run it, you own it
- Can easily balance the commercial needs of the business against the ideal technical design, proposing strategic and tactical implementations where appropriate and people in non-technical roles understand the trade-offs
- Drive team focus on technical delivery goals whilst balancing quality and user value
- Work with our product teams and other disciplines on defining/refining our product roadmap to align with the technical vision
- Instils our engineering principles in others
- Work with engineering managers in developing staff and evolving our teams
- Coach and develop your direct reports using development plans and hands on support
- Encourage the team to be autonomous and work more effectively through the strong understanding of agile practices
- Be the interface with other stakeholders to help align your squad with the tribe and delivery
- Be a disciplined custodian of the software design of our products
- Fosters effective collaboration in multi-disciplinary squads
- Advocate and evangelise engineering best practice
- Leads by example, is clear and set a clear direction
Normally based in our Leeds city centre tech hub, you’ll enjoy being part of a strong team culture, with the flexibility to work remotely around that. You will be part of a global team.
How we work
We believe in providing the best career for everyone; your progression begins on the day we first meet.
Career progression, staff engagement and satisfaction are paramount to us. We want an environment where engineers can do their best work and be the best that they can be.
- Our engineers work closely with colleagues in all positions, so communication and interpersonal skills are important for this role
- Effective lead engineers can keep teams moving and can jump in where there may be a gap to help keep work flowing
- Modern software engineering relies on iterative, incremental development and fast feedback – we expect a good understanding of the mechanics of this including a solid understanding of automation and its role in modern software delivery
- Have experience of working in a modern agile environment (e.g. Scrum / Kanban)
- You will be comfortable working independently or collaboratively with good time and prioritisation skills
What’s in it for you?
The salary for this job is based on experience, so whilst we are not able to go into detail at this stage, we can say that we offer great salary packages and a discretionary annual performance bonus. We can also provide advice and dedicated assistance to those moving to Leeds.
We offer health and dental insurance for you, your partner and your children (if you all live at the same address). If you have a baby whilst you work for us, we will give you 1000 GBP as congratulations.
In addition to that, we provide the opportunity for a discounted gym membership.
Our in-house training and development team deliver fantastic support in terms of developing your skills and helping you progress your career.
What happens next?
We will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. If you meet the criteria, then we’ll invite you to a general Zoom interview and if that goes well we’ll meet you for a technical Zoom interview.
PokerStars is part of Flutter Entertainment Plc, a global sports betting, gaming and entertainment provider headquartered in Dublin and part of FTSE 100 index of the London Stock Exchange, which brings together exceptional brands, products and businesses and a diverse global presence in a safe, responsible and ultimately sustainable way.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on any protected characteristic as defined by applicable law.
We will look to provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process. If you need assistance, please contact email@example.com