The role: Principal DevOps Engineer
We’re on an exciting journey; as part of the Flutter group, we form a key piece of the world’s largest Betting and Gaming company with brands such as PokerStars, Paddy Power, BetFair and SkyBet. We’re expanding our team as we use our technical and sports betting expertise to deliver a best of breed Sportsbook.
What you will do
Reporting into an Operations Manager, this is a key role providing technical operational leadership and governance across multiple teams delivering key parts of our strategy to build and own the industry’s best sports betting and trading platform.
Salary and benefits packages reflect the high standard across our team. We offer excellent training and development opportunities for all engineers, including dedicated L&D time every week.
You will be self-motivated, self-sufficient and willing to contribute at all levels, listening and learning from those around you. Culture is the foundation of our success, and we want you to be a part of it and drive it.
Principal DevOps Engineers will help define the operational strategy and standards and are key to ensuring the vision is understood and delivered within our engineering teams.
How you will do it
- Be the key technical operational authority for multiple engineering teams
- Help shape the technical operational vision and strategy
- Work closely with the teams to ensure the vision and strategy is understood
- Attend team ceremonies such as stand-ups, inceptions and roadmap planning to ensure alignment
- Run service reviews to help teams understand where they can improve supportability
- Run post-incident reviews to allow us to learn from our mistakes in blame free environment
- Create and delivery regular reports on service operational supportability and the biggest risks
- Provide regular training sessions on our key technologies and technical fundamentals
- Provide hands on help with deep and current technical expertise in your area of specialism
- Drive team focus on operational best practices whilst balancing quality and customer value
- Ensure all security and compliance is considered at all stages of development
Normally based in our Leeds city centre tech hub, you’ll enjoy being part of a strong team culture, with the flexibility to work remotely around that. You will be part of a global team.
Our technology stack
Technology is at the heart of everything we do. We build our software with stability, scalability and flexibility in mind. As such, we need to have a platform that can support this. We have a vast array of technologies that we utilise and would expect experience in the following:
- AWS and either Terraform or Cloud Formation
- Linux administration
- Monitoring / alerting technologies e.g. Prometheus / Grafana
- Event streaming
- CI/CD e.g. Jenkins / GoCD
- JVM application support
- Config management e.g. Chef / Ansible
- Database configuration and management
How we work
We believe in providing the best career for everyone; your progression begins on the day we first meet.
Career progression, staff engagement and satisfaction are paramount to us. We want an environment where engineers can do their best work and be the best that they can be.
- Our engineers work closely with colleagues in all positions, so communication and interpersonal skills are important for this role
- You will have a deep understanding of the full web application stack, from the customer interaction to backend systems
- You will have experience running large scale systems in production and be familiar with incident and post-incident management
- You will have experience working in a highly regulated industry and understand the responsibilities that come with it
- Modern software engineering relies on iterative, incremental development and fast feedback – we expect a good understanding of the mechanics of this including a solid understanding of automation and its role in modern software delivery
- Have experience of working in a modern agile environment (e.g. Scrum / Kanban)
- You will be comfortable working independently or collaboratively with good time and prioritisation skills
What’s in it for you?
The salary for this job is based on experience, so whilst we are not able to go into detail at this stage, we can say that we offer great salary packages and a discretionary annual performance bonus. We can also provide advice and dedicated assistance to those moving to Leeds.
We offer health and dental insurance for you, your partner and your children (if you all live at the same address). If you have a baby whilst you work for us, we will give you 1000 GBP as congratulations.
In addition to that, we provide the opportunity for a discounted gym membership.
Our in-house training and development team deliver fantastic support in terms of developing your skills and helping you progress your career.
What happens next?
We will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. If you meet the criteria, then we’ll invite you to a phone interview and if that goes well we’ll meet you for a face-to-face interview.
PokerStars is part of Flutter Entertainment Plc, a global sports betting, gaming and entertainment provider headquartered in Dublin and part of FTSE 100 index of the London Stock Exchange, which brings together exceptional brands, products and businesses and a diverse global presence in a safe, responsible and ultimately sustainable way.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate on any protected characteristic as defined by applicable law.
We will look to provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process. If you need assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org